Childress County Heritage Museum

Childress County Heritage Museum was chartered January 12, 1976, in conjunction with the nation`s bicentennial, with the late A.V. McFarland its first president and curator. Its humble beginnings were in the old jail on the courthouse square. It is now at home in the old U S Post Office built in 1935. It was purchased in 1981 by the late Eugene and Janet Norris Smith and donated to the museum board, in memory of their parents, to house the historical artifacts of Childress County, Texas. Doors of the new museum were opened in 1983. The building received Texas Historical Landmark designation by the Texas Historical Commission in 1991.