Fort Martin Scott
Fort Martin Scott was established by the U.S. Army on December 5, 1848, The post, really more a supply depot than defense post, was named for Major Martin Scott, 5th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action in the Battle of Molino del Rey. Originally meant to protect the San Antonio-Fredericksburg Road, the post was occupied by Confederates throughout the Civil War. The post was abandoned in December of 1866. One building and a visitors center can be seen.
Fredericksburg was founded by Otfried Hans Frieherr von Meusebach (1812-1897), who became a citizen of Texas under the name of John O. Meusebach. John O. Meusebach and Robert S. Neighbors negotiated a treaty with the Comanches in early 1847. They were paid three thousand dollars in presents for their promise to leave the German colonists alone. This treaty was never broken. In response to the Germans' plea for help, the Republic of Texas granted the Germans three million acres for their colony. The Indians soon contested their colonizing the northwestern regions.
Blazing on the hills around Fredericksburg each Easter Eve, combined with a local pageant, the Easter fires recall an old tale. In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on the hills. To calm her children's fears, one mother-recalling Easters fires in her native Germany-told them the smoke came from pots in which the Easter bunny was dyeing eggs with flowers. As the tale spread and pioneers kindled the fires in each year of peace with the Indians, the local yearly celebration arose.