Uhland, on Farm Road 21 eleven miles northeast of San Marcos on the Hays-Caldwell county line, developed in the 1890s on the site of the former Live Oak community. Uhland had a post office from 1892 to 1902, and the community's businessmen served the ranchers and cotton farmers around Plum Creek for more than half a century. By 1910 the community had a cotton gin and two stores, and in 1950 the census listed seven businesses and 140 residents. In 1970 Uhland recorded no businesses and a population of ninety. In 1990 the population was 368. The population was 386 in 2000.