Perryville, also known as Hogeye or Young's Settlement, was a small community located 2? miles south of the site of present Elgin in Bastrop County. It was established on land which had been granted to Elizabeth Standifer qv in 1829 as part of Stephen F. Austin 's "Little Colony." Standifer's daughter and son-in-law, Sarah and John Litton , built their home on this land, and area residents were often invited there for community dances. According to one story, the name Hogeye came into use because the fiddle player only knew one song, which was called "Hogeye." The Litton house was also used as a changing station for a stagecoach route from Houston. Litton was appointed postmaster when a post office was established in the community in 1849, and the name Young's Settlement was chosen, probably in honor of the Michael Young family. The churches and the local Masonic lodge used the name Perryville, possibly for Perry Young, who was Michael Young's son.